Updated for 2016: Repayments demanded in Eurovision scandal. You want more?
- June 2015: auditors’ report! The whole farrago cost DK 310 million, 167% over budget. DR absolved of any blame – although watching this year’s safe pair of hands at work many things came back to haunt me, not least Lise Rønne in the ‘green room’.
- May 2015: in a piece called Building tourist bridges ESC Insight’s Jenny Wren gets those dirty sheets back out of the linen basket – those Malmö comparisons gotta hurt…
- Jan 2015: in Berlingske cultural critics DOXA note the absence of any form of self criticism from DR, while WoCo CEO Lars Bernhard Jørgensen resigns, a move spun as a “generational shift”. Let us never talk of such things again.
Three months on, some of the issues flagged up here and in the Danish press are reaching a sort of resoution, although the #escdk repurcussions will drag on for months – if not years – yet.
The international bandwagon has rolled on to Vienna, which, one trusts, will be characterised by attention to detail rather than a det skal nok gå /”it’s not my problem” project management style.
We’ve reached peak Eurovision here, although once national final season kicks off and there’s nowt on Danish TV we may well be back.
- 18 Aug: Eurovision spending mess endangers tourism – WoCo chairman falls on sword, director still in post…
- 14 Aug: Eurovision loan interest controversy – could DR be charging excessively high interest rates on its loan?
- 11 Aug: WoCo accused of nepotism; see Metroxpress’ handy graphic below and DR on the story
- 5 Aug: This is the story of the massive deficit of the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest (Eurovisionary)
- 4 Aug: Eurovision cost three times more than planned – they “forgot to ask critical questions about how realistic the plans and production were”; WoCo’s response: it turned into a building project
- 4 Aug: City not responsible for Eurovision debt, says mayor
- 10 July: Eurovision organisers could face 10 million kroner fine – breaches in EU tender law were “caused by incomprehensible stupidity or enormous cheek”
- 26 June: Eurovision finances damaging for tourism – CBS calls project “extremely amateurish”; plumbers’ bill still not paid
- 23 June: Total Eurovision bill nears 100 million kroner – preliminary budgets and accounts were “unprofessional” and “primitive”
- 12 June: Eurovision bills keep piling up – the DR loan story
See also Metroxpress’ overview page.